Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
Here are 5 dental tips to keep you smiling through the season:
- Keep that toothbrush handy! Most people brush their teeth best as part of a scheduled and routine day. When vacation starts, often times oral hygiene habits like brushing twice a day go right out the window. Don’t let that be you!
- If you’re traveling, don’t forget your orthodontic retainer, night guard, or snore guard. Being on the road or staying in the home of friends and family is fun, but those fun-filled days can be exhausting and stressful, too. That tends to exacerbate clenching, grinding, and snoring. So make sure to pack your oral appliances.
- Avoid grazing. Holidays are filled with wonderful meals and treats. Go ahead and indulge. Just don’t snack all day long. We all know sugars and starches are cavity causing, but even more important is the amount of time that sugar and starch is on your teeth. Have well structured meal and snack times, then put food aside to protect your precious enamel.
- Take advantage of end-of-year insurance benefits! Unlike medical insurance, most dental insurance benefits have maximums each year, and unused benefits don’t roll over. Scheduling treatment before January 1 is a great way to get the most out of your insurance plan, without cutting into next year’s benefits.
- Smile! Holidays are meant to be joyful and rejuvenating. Research suggests that the mere act of smiling can make you (and others!) happier. So don’t hold back, go ahead and smile! –Dr. Rice